Sunday, March 14, 2010

CATH KIDSTON PROJECTS

I have been wanting to do a couple projects for a really long time. I kept putting it off. I'm not sure why, really, they were super easy, once I did them. But, this weekend seemed to be the perfect time to just do it, since David was called into work and it has been so gloomy and rainy.
A while back my mom and dad went to London and surprised me with a goodie bag from Cath Kidston. It was full of fun fabric and the most beautiful oilcloth. I have known what I wanted to do with it all ever since they gave it to me--a pillow for my studio and a tote made from the oilcloth. I have made pillows before, but I have never made a slipcover for one. Come to find out, it is really easy peasy and it only took me less than a half an hour. (What took me so long to do it?)

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Here is the back of the pillow.

And here it is, in it's new home in my studio.

The second project was the tote. I have never sewn one before and I didn't have a pattern to go by. But, I do have to say, this one is very basic and simple and anyone can do it! I definitely see my little mistakes but, once again, I'm happy with how it turned out and I'm so glad I finally finished it.
Now, the next time I go to the bookstore, I'll have a stylish tote to carry my new books and "glossies" home.
Thanks Mom and Dad for all the fabric---I love it so much!


6 comments:

June said...

Kelli, don't you just CK fabric. How nice of your parents to bring you home a goody bag from her store. Now you have these things to look at to remind you of there kind and thoughtful gift from London. My neighbor orders Cath Kidstan fabric often and it costs her an arm and a leg to have it shipped here. I love both the pillow and the bag and you did such a great job on them both.
I love the beautiful journal that you made and showed in your previous post!
hugs

Anonymous said...

Honey, You are so very welcome...I knew you would create wonderful things with the fabric! I'm happy you took some time to make some things for yourself! They are both lovely, but you know me...LOVE the tote bag! :) It is neat how you trimmed it! Hope someday we can go again and we'll bring you more to play with!
Love,
Mom

sandy l said...

Kelli,

Here's the tote bag pattern I used:

http://www.supereggplant.com/archives/000216.html

Your totebag looks wonderful, so you may not need it.

Sandy L.

cammy said...

YUMMY!! The oilcloth tote bag is to die for!!
xo

Hope | Paper Relics said...

Kelli - these are both wonderful - what fun fabric to work with!

Kateyed said...

OK...just lost my post. You did a nice job! I have never made a tote but I just got a machine and it will hopefully happen soon.

I love Cath Kidston. I guess you used to be able to get more of her things in the US...no more.

Come and visit my new blog, if you like.

http:katsuijewelry.blogspot.com

Suz